Douglas Park Community Association is pleased to resume programming this Fall, in a limited capacity with a gradual rollout over the proceeding weeks of identified programs. This approach will allow for the operations team to adapt to the unpredictable challenges COVID19 has and may impose on the Centre moving forward.
Priority services that were identified throughout the network include children, youth, and senior user groups; that being said, we are ecstatic to announce registration is open on September 3rd.
With the guidance from the Ministry of Health, we will impose the following general guidelines and public health principles but not limited to the following:
- Requiring staff and patrons to stay at home when sick.
- Encouraging physical distancing and minimizing physical contact by including a combination of markers, signage, and modified activities.
- Practicing hand hygiene, respiratory etiquette and frequent cleaning and disinfecting.
- Ensuring traffic flow does not use the same exit and entry points.
- Centre hours and days of operation will be reduced and only registered participants may come into the Centre. Classes will be by registration only, drop-ins will be restricted to the Fall to allow us to ensure all safety measures are being adhered to with the initial opening.
- Check-ins for registered participants at 1 entrance checkpoint will be completed 5 minutes before class starts.
GENERAL SAFETY PRACTICES
- Registration and payment is required for most programs to help reduce the capacity to allow for physical distancing.
- Please arrive no more than 10 minutes prior to your program time. Patrons may be required to line up prior to entering the facility.
- Follow physical distancing practice and maintain minimum 2 metres between yourself and others at all times.
- Bring your own pre-filled water bottle and dress accordingly. Not all fountains and changing rooms will be available.
- The building will not be open for general socializing/congregating. You will be asked to leave the building once your program has ended.
- Anyone not following safety guidelines or directions from staff will be asked to leave. Please respect and follow directions of staff at all times.
COVID-19 SAFETY POLICY
- All participants, instructors and staff who have symptoms of COVID-19 AND/OR have traveled outside Canada in the last 14 days AND/OR were identified by Public Health as a close contact of a confirmed case must stay home and self-isolate.
- Participants who are ill will not be permitted to attend programs.
- Daily checks for respiratory illness at sign-in will be performed by asking participants to confirm that they do not have symptoms of common cold, influenza, COVID-19, or other respiratory disease.
- Participants must assess themselves daily for symptoms of common cold, influenza, COVID-19, or other infectious respiratory disease before registering or attending programs.
- If a participant, instructor or staff member is unsure they should self-isolate, they will be directed to use the BC COVID-19 Self-Assessment Tool, contact 8-1-1 or the local public health unit. Additionally, encouraged to contact a family physician or nurse practitioner to be assessed for COVID-19 and other respiratory diseases.
ENHANCED CLEANING MEASURES AT THE CENTRE INCLUDE BUT NOT LIMITED TO:
- Reducing the amount of people who can visit at one time.
- Setting up one-way travel around facilities and where it is not possible, two-way travel will be in place.
- Clearing and cleaning the programmable space in between programs.
- Facility will be sanitized at least twice per day at all high frequency touch points in addition to any regularly scheduled overnight sanitizing/cleaning per operating days of the facility.
- Site Safety Plans available at reception desk.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Will there be a Recreation Guide for Fall 2020 classes?
A Recreation Guide will not be produced for Fall classes. Please visit recreation.vancouver.ca and filter for Douglas Park Community Centre classes, or click here for a list of classes.
2. Why don’t I see my usual class on the list?
The reopening of Community Centre focuses on priority programming for children, youth and seniors. The staff have worked with their instructors to see if their classes can adapt to changes such as maximum class sizes, time of class, different rooms, and necessary equipment. As we work through new procedures, staff will review adding more classes.
3. When and where can I register for classes?
Registration begins September 3 – online at recreation.vancouver.ca at 9am, and September 8 at 9am by phone at 604-257-8130 or in person at Douglas Park Community Centre. We encourage debit and credit card payments for any in-person transactions.
4. Can I still drop-in to classes?
Many classes will not have a drop-in option available due to the reduced number of spaces in class. Details on how to drop-in will be listed in the course description, if it is an available option.
5. What changes can I expect when I arrive at the Community Centre?
You will see notable changes at Douglas Park Community Centre. We have implemented new policies and procedures to ensure patrons are able to social distance.
- Each patron is to self-assess their health. If you are feeling or showing any symptoms (fever, cough, difficulty breathing, runny nose, etc), do not enter the building.
- Be cognizant of new signage including new flow of traffic, social distancing reminders, new maximum capacities for classroom and washrooms, and exits.
- Check your receipt and review which entrance to use for your class.
- Check-in to your class no earlier than 5 minutes prior to start time. Be ready to begin, as access to washrooms may be limited.
Limited shared equipment – please bring your own equipment to use during the class (mat, weight, bands, towel)
6. Do I need to wear a mask?
Although masks are not mandatory in the Community Centre, we recommend wearing them while inside the Community Centre as much as possible. This includes hallways and areas where social distancing may not be possible.
7. Is your Fitness Centre open?
At this time, the Fitness Centre’s reopening date is to be determined. There will be information posted on the vancouver.ca website.